Pre-orders for Playdate, the trendy, handheld video games console introduced by producer Panic, Inc. again in 2019, open in July. The machine prices $179, the corporate stated on Tuesday. The buy will get you the Playdate in addition to 24 video games launched over its first 12-week season of content material.
The first models “are expected to begin shipping later this year,” Panic added.
Tuesday’s announcement additionally revealed the Playdate Stereo Dock, the handheld’s first accent, though it doesn’t but have a value or launch date. But the Stereo Dock is a Bluetooth-enabled speaker that can retailer and cost the Playdate when not in use, “and, unexpectedly, can hold your pens. (It will include a pen.)”
There can also be The Playdate Cover, a protecting case for the machine and its display. Bundles that embody a Cover could also be pre-ordered for $199; the peripheral is $29 by itself.
As for the video games, Panic on Tuesday named 21 of the 24. They shall be launched two-at-a-time each week as soon as the Playdate launches. The video games are (this record will not be in chronological order of launch):
- Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure by uvula
- Battleship Godios by TPM.CO Soft Works
- Boogie Loops by May-Lie Khoe and Andy Matuschak
- Casual Birder by Diego Garcia and Max Coburn
- DemonQuest 85 by Alex Ashby, Lawrence Bishop, Duncan Fyfe, Belinda Leung, and Jared Emerson-Johnson
- Echoic Memory by Samantha Kalma, Everest Pipkin, Carol Mertz, and Rachelle Viola
- Executive Golf DX by davemakes
- Flipper Lifter by Serenity Forge
- Forrest Byrnes: Up in Smoke by Nels Anderson and Christina “castpixel” Neofotistou
- Hyper Meteor by Vertex Pop
- Lost Your Marbles by Sweet Baby Inc. & Friends
- Omaze by Gregory Kogos
- Pick Pack Pup by Nic Magnier, Arthur Hamer, and Logan Gabriel
- Questy Chess by Dadako
- Ratcheteer by Shaun Inman, Matthew Grimm, and Charlie Davis
- Sasquatchers by Chuck Jordan
- Snak by Zach Gage and Neven Mrgan
- Spellcorked! by Jada Gibbs, Nick Splendorr, Ryan Splendorr, Tony Ghostbrite, and Em Halberstadt
- Zipper by Bennett Foddy
- Saturday Edition by Chris Makris, Gord McGladdery, and Alfonso Salinas
- Whitewater Wipeout by Chuhai Labs
Tuesday’s replace additionally stated that Lucas Pope (Return of the Obra Dinn; Papers, Please) is at work on a brand new recreation for the PlayDate known as Mars After Midnight.
Developers can use Panic’s improvement equipment for Playdate, known as Pulp, to make and promote side-loaded video games for the machine; the corporate’s plans for publication and distribution of different titles, other than side-loading them, later on.
Playdate has a 2.7-inch, black-and-white show on a case that measures 74 x 76 x 9 mm. It additionally has a unusual rotary crank on the aspect, which can be utilized in a few of the video games made for it (akin to Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure). Playdate additionally features a headphone jack and USB-C port, in addition to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth help.
“The sooner you order, the sooner you’ll get one, but we’re not going to close the door on you,” Panic co-founder Cabel Sasser stated in a press release. “Hopefully it’s a pleasant experience. Although surely something will go wrong, so thanks for your patience with whatever that thing is.”
Tuesday’s assertion additionally stated that Panic itself can be making “some extra surprise games along the way” for the Playdate. Panic, based in 1997, bought into publishing in 2016 with Firewatch and adopted that in 2019 with Untitled Goose Game.